Refugee is not a profession!
You want to do an apprenticeship? You‘re interested in manual skills? You were a skilled manual worker in your homeland and want to continue with your career?
Then you’ve come to the right place. In our Übungswerkstätten (practical workshops) we will prepare you for a traineeship in a particular trade. Our courses last 16 weeks on average and consist of three modules:
- a language course featuring work-related vocabulary and career information,
- a workshop course where you can find out what you’re really into and show us what kind of skills and experience you already have,
- and a specialist course at a Berlin-based trade guild to provide you with an insight into a specific trade.
We will then help you to find an internship placement. If you and your employer are both satisfied, we will assist you in looking for potential introductory training schemes („Einstiegsqualifizierung (EQ)“), vocational training or employment possibilities.
Handbook Germany recently paid us a visit. Take a look at their video of the ARRIVO Bildungswerkstätten (educational workshops) and find out all the things you can do with us. We look forward your application and you joining us in the future!
Who we’re looking for:
- Asylum seekers and refugees with temporary (“Duldung”) and permanent (“Aufenthaltserlaubnis”) residence status
- B1-level German-language proficiency (certificates are not required)
- People with an interest in manual skills
Participation is free of charge and courses are available all year round. The number of available places is limited.
Interested? Then call us on 030 69508900 oder or send an email to email@example.com.
© Luis Krummenacher, S27 – Kunst und Bildung
ARRIVO BERLIN Übungswerkstätten is an S27 – Art and Education pilot project and part of the ARRIVO BERLIN umbrella brand. We prepare people with refugee status for the employment market and work closely with Berlin-based businesses. The projects run by the ARRIVO BERLIN umbrella brand are funded by the Senate Department for Integration, Employment and Social Affairs (“Senatsverwaltung für Integration, Arbeit und Soziales”).
Our Kontaktbüro (“service office”) is always there to provide advice and support to businesses who want to employ or train refugees.
Since May 2015 we have advised around 280 companies, primarily smaller to medium-sized organisations from a wide range of sectors, but also larger enterprises like Mercedes Benz or Berliner Wasserbetriebe.
What we offer:
- Advice on any issues surrounding the employment or training of people with refugee status
- Placement of suitable candidates
- Development of and support for special traineeship schemes in cooperation with larger companies
- Organising and giving workshops for employers, trainers or employees on the subject of ‘working with and training refugees’
- Trade fair appearances, presentations, seminars
Interested? Then call us on +49 30 6177 673-62 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
First contact: participants visiting railway infrastructure company Spitzke
Company visit: Wall
The ARRIVO contact office is an S27 – Art and Education pilot project and part of ‘bridge – Berliner Netzwerke für Bleiberecht’ (‘Berlin networks for the right to stay’). The project is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs and the European Social Fund as part of the Federal ESF Integration Directive (‘ESF-Integrationsrichtlinie Bund’) which prioritises the ‘integration of asylum seekers and refugees’.
Creative learning – practical workshops for female refugees
You want to work or do a skilled apprenticeship? You’re interested in manual professions or have already worked in a certain trade?
Then you’ve come to the right place! Our Übungswerkstätten (practical workshops) last six weeks and offer women a creative and comfortable learning environment:
- Our specialist courses allow you to try out a number of skilled trades (e.g. gardener, hairdresser, woodworker, etc.) in a creative and inventive environment and to also build upon your existing knowledge.
- You will learn general and work-related vocabulary in a German course.
- We will inform you about the German apprenticeship system, and your opportunities on the Berlin employment market.
- Together we’ll visit Berlin-based businesses.
Get involved and find out what you’re into! We will help you to discover your hidden talents and to plan your future!
Participation is free of charge, and childcare is potentially available. As a follow-up to the project you can attend one of the ARRIVO BERLIN Übungswerkstätten courses. There we work closely with businesses, including those in the hairdressing, horticulture/landscape gardening, baking and confectionery, and woodworking sectors, and we will assist you in finding a job or apprenticeship.
What you should offer: A2-level knowledge of German is preferred and all statuses are welcome (except those with an “employment ban” [“Beschäftigungsverbot”] ancillary clause).
If you are interested or have any questions, give us a call on 030 69508900 or send an email to email@example.com. The ARRIVO BERLIN Übungswerkstätten team look forward to hearing from you!
Elvira: ‘It’s never too late to learn something new.’
‘I learnt so much on this course and had loads of fun trying out new things, meeting new people and making new friends. The bike repair workshop was the most fun of all, and it showed me that I was good at things I never thought I would be. The course showed me it’s never too late to learn something new.’
Olta: ‘You just have to go for it and try things out.’
‘The first time I tried sewing, printing and I repaired a bike. I wasn’t certain to begin with because I want to be a hairdresser, but it was good fun and it makes you think creatively. Especially the sewing and printing, and now I’m considering maybe learning something new.’
Silvana: ‘Talking to people is important to me.’
‘I have a problem with my German. I understand a lot but I can’t speak it well. That’s why the application training was my favourite part of the course. We learnt to maintain eye contact and how to talk to people. That also helped me in my daily life and I was able to improve and test my German. It’s important to me that I talk with people, and this course offers you that.’
ARRIVO BERLIN Übungswerkstätten is an S27 – Art and Education pilot project and part of the ARRIVO BERLIN umbrella brand. We prepare people with refugee status for the employment market and work closely with Berlin-based businesses. The projects run by the ARRIVO BERLIN umbrella brand are funded by the Senate Department for Integration, Employment and Social Affairs [“Senatsverwaltung für Integration, Arbeit und Soziales”].
ADDRESS & PUBLIC TRANSPORT ARRIVO BERLIN Übungswerkstätten Schlesische Str. 27 b 10997 Berlin U1 Schlesisches Tor Bus 165, 265 Taborstraße